Friday, May 1, 2009

"Look twin eggs!"

This morning, as I was making breakfast, Henry was supervising the making of his morning meal’s favorite part: the eggs. As I broke the second egg into the pan, Henry exclaimed “look twins!” and sure enough there were two yolks in a single egg. It was pretty cool but what was even better was Henry’s reaction. He marveled at the novelty of the sight and the idea that chickens too could have twins. He was excited to have a new found piece of knowledge. He was anxious to share his discovery, right after “look twins!” he said “you have to take a picture” and then he ran to share the news with his dad. The “twins” definitely made his day and I came to the realization that children are often happier than adults because they take time to wonder at little things. Adults, and by adults I mean me, often tend to worry only about the big things; a clean house, balanced meals, church callings fulfilled, paperwork done….but children take time to notice that the blossoms on one specific tree are purple whereas the other trees have pink blossoms (I hadn’t noticed), they notice if the register lady gave me a Canadian dime (a novelty), they notice if some child on the way to school looks sad (I noticed we were running late), they notice if I haven’t told them I loved them today (I probably notice that I still had a floor to mop, or some ironing to do, or a phone call to make). I am grateful that my children remind me that to be truly happy I need to stop and smell the roses.
Sorry about the fuzzy picture. The hot pan kept fogging up the camera lens and I didn't have time to focus. This is the best shot I got.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

So true!!! That was a great post! Kids are amazing aren't they!

Ben and Shara said...

wow, cool. Little kids are the best. . .

us*limes said...

christelle, i hope you don't mind me blog-stalking you... i got here from florine's. i didn't know your married name, but am glad to have found your blog.
i have NEVER seen twin eggs. that is amazing.
your kids are beautiful.
and this post reminds me of a song. don't remember the artist, but she says, "i hope you never lose your sense of wonder." so true! kids are amazed at and by everything. oh, to be like a child again.
shanda

Katherine said...

Christelle, I've just spent the most enjoyable 20 minutes reading your blog! Your kids are adorable, and I love that as I read, I can hear your voice. Thank you for sharing these little glimpses into your family's life---I kept laughing out loud, and there's still a smile on my face. I miss you!