Thursday, December 11, 2008

So Gullible….So Adorable!

Something the kids said this morning during breakfast brought back to my mind an incident from a few nights ago. I can’t reveal what they said this morning, not just yet as it would ruin the story. So our story starts a few nights ago at dinnertime when Olivia tells us, dead serious, that she can count to twelve in sign language. I’m really impressed because I know that they use their fingers in a way that doesn’t make sense to hearing people, and I’ve never been able to memorize numbers in sign language. Tyler asks her to show us and she starts… she puts her right hand out palm up and leaves it there, then she puts her left hand out palm up and leaves it there, then she flips her right hand palm down and leaves it there.... Tyler and I start to smile… then she flips her left hand palm down and leaves it there… the smile is getting bigger… then she puts her right hand behind her head….we’re such naughty parents, we loose it, we’re laughing so hard I’m crying and my sweet little girl lowers her head and pouts, she’s embarrassed because we’re laughing at her. Tyler asks her who taught her how to “count in sign language” and she says someone at school but she won’t tells us who, what’s for sure is that they got her good. Tyler explains that we’re not laughing at her, that she’s not counting in sign language but doing the Macarena, and it’s the dance that's funny, but she doesn’t believe us and is still embarrassed. We try to apologize and make her feel better, we even show her people dancing the Macarena on YouTube but we hurt her feelings and I feel bad so I just hold her while Henry is now dancing the Macarena and it's not helping. The evening goes on, life goes on and I forget about the incident... until this morning when Olivia says “I did the Macarena for Henry yesterday”, and Henry adds “she does the Macarena for me because I don’t laugh at her.” It makes me feel terrible that I hurt her feelings but you’ve got to admit that it was really funny.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

That is pretty funny!! She's so dang cute, I think I would have had a hard time not laughing too. Don't feel bad about laughing....kids are forgiving.:)

Jennifer said...

pauvre petite puce - des fois c'est dur dur d'etre un enfant - surtout un enfant sensible.
olivia, i would not have laughed at you! i would have danced along with you and together we would have laughed at that silly kid who confused dancing with sign language!!