Thursday, January 27, 2011

Heaven

One of the questions I’m most often asked is: What do you miss most about France? After saying that what I miss MOST is my family. I explain that I talk to them very often, which makes me miss them not quite so much, I tell them that food and especially cheese is what I miss most. So what makes French food different and better? It’s hard to explain. Except for the cheese, many of which you just can not find in the US, French food and American food basically use the same ingredients. French food might be a little saucier but most of all it’s the way it’s prepared and then presented. For lack of a better explanation, I will let you feast your eyes upon some of the amazing French food Tyler and I got to enjoy during our trip to Paris. Hmmm! Lobster and pear salad. My favorite dish this trip. Scallop souffle with a champagne sauce. Tyler's favorite dish this trip. John Dory (a fish) filet with topinambur ravioli and sauce. Topinambur is the tuber of the sunflower used as a root vegetable. Chicken breast with a turnip gratin and a truffle sauce. Goat cheese salad. Simple. Beautiful. Delicious. Duck confit. Cheese platter. Now this I truly miss. Coconut Bavarois with roasted pineapple and homemade Madagascar vanilla ice-cream. After a meal, the french usually enjoy a cup of coffee or herbal tea which is often accompanied by some mignardises (tiny, bite-sized desserts). I couldn't explain it better than these photos but as I said.... French food..... hmmmm.... heaven!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I don't think I've ever tasted any of that food but oh boy does it look delicious!!! I guess I need to make a trip to Paris!